AI War:Choosing An AI Opponent
What are suggestions for a good first AI opponent?
Q: What would you call a good "default AI" setting to fight against?
A: The answer to that really depends on your play style. I'd suggest doing two different AI types, as that can make for more of a balance (playing double of any given AI type can really amplify whatever that AI's characteristics are). Some notes:
- If you find extensive offense tedious, then turtles or things close to them are not the way to go (but since they never attack you via waves -- though still Cross Planet Attacks -- you'll have more resources than you might expect, thanks to saving a ton on your defense ).
- If you find defense to be overly challenging, then something like mad bomber is probably not the way to go.
- The Entrenched Homeworlder is basically one of the most average types of AIs all around, with moderate attack and defense capabilities. Fortress Baron is another one that was a traditional average AI type. Doing one of each of those is often a good starting fit, and was actually the default starting setting way back.
- Starting with simply two Random Easier AIs on a difficulty that is appropriate for you is often a good way to get started, too.
- If you have the Light of the Spire expansion installed and enabled, you will get the Vanilla AI type as an option. As the name suggests, this is just a basic AI. No fancy extra unlocks and no special behavior.