Tidalis:1.502 Official Release - Image Loading Code
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- The ability to submit leaderboard scores to steam has been completely removed. This was previously opt-in, but that was causing problems when enabled.
- Since 2010 when we switched to the Unity 3D engine, we've been using their WWW class to load images from the disk asynchronously. However, in more recent versions of unity it's been a case where for a small number of people, if they had multiple network adapters on their machine, then the WWW loads from their own disk would load incredibly slowly. We didn't know until now what exactly caused that.
- We've now created a new internal ArcenAsyncFile class that is our own implementation of the asynchronous disk calls (and will later be extended for network calls as well). This has been tested on windows, osx, and ubuntu, and it not only works, but seems to load noticeably faster than before. This should also bypass the issue that the WWW class had with getting oddly slow (if it doesn't, then something _seriously_ strange is going on, as they have almost no code in common).
- Thanks to Vanreis for the latest report, and figuring out that this was related to the number of network adapters.
- The WWW class is no longer used for checking for game updates, but instead the new ArcenAsyncFile is now used.
- This _should_ provide more fault tolerance when programs like AVAST want to kill the ability of the game to check for updates. Knock on wood!